Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Good Things Happen for those Who Wait


When I decided to pursue my law degree, I knew that I was taking a big risk. It was a risk because I cannot guarantee that I would be able to survive law school. I knew from the start that there were several groups of law students/graduates: those who did not even attend classes nor tried to, those who attended but still failed and those who graduated but never took the Bar exam and those who took but failed. Roughly around a quarter of class made it to fourth year and around 10% became lawyers.

If I looked at the numbers, the chance of achieving my dream was low. I realized I should be part of the ten percent if I wanted to get a chance. Already being a college graduate and eligible to enter the labor sector, and probably start earning and building my egg nest -just like my friends did, I still decided to take the longer road and realized my childhood dream.

While in law school, I relied almost 100% for my parents' support. Given that my parents are not well-off, the term "support" only covers the basics - books, tuition fees, food. Imagine my insecurity and embarrassment when my friends from both college and high school who were working (and earning) that time, showed off their latest gadgets, gizmos and what nots. The fact that they can afford eating in some fancied restaurants also prompted me to invent excuses (mostly lame) for my inattendance.

For almost 5 years, I relied too much on this 'delayed gratification' thingy. Okay, I just first heard about this about 3 years ago when I was listening to a radio show one morning  and the Disc Jockey (ies) were on this topic. My attention was caught since it was quite a more relatable topic and I end up almost calling the show to tell them "Yeah you got it right! Delayed gratification rocks." I have been doing that same practice for several years before less the actual term or nomenclature.

Over a year ago, that delayed gratification finally paid off. I did become a lawyer and currently working for a government agency and practicing law at the same time. I can say that I am now reaping the 'what I sow' so to speak. I get to buy things if I have to (though, I still don't buy things which are considered as 'wants'), eat in a fancy restaurant if I need to- things that I could not do before. But ultimately, aside from those tangible things, its really having self-fulfillment and self-esteem that are worth all the wait and sacrifices.

Patience as they say is a virtue. Agree. We may never understand things from the beginning but we should have faith and trust that things will be better in the end. Meanwhile, work your ass off in achieving and reaching those dreams-those are the only options. =)



No comments:

Post a Comment